So, sharing my tips to make oil-free phulkas. Side-dish which you can serve with these phulkas (Just click on the names for recipe) :
Matar Malai Methi
Aam ki Dal
Yield - Makes 12 phulkas
Whole wheat flour/atta - 2 cups
Warm water as per requirement
Salt as per taste
1) Combine wheat flour and salt in a mixing bowl.
2) Now slowly start adding warm water and knead to form a smooth dough. Kneading the dough plays a key role in making soft fluffy phulkas. Take your time to knead the dough (approx 10 minutes) . Make sure the dough is soft, smooth and non-sticky. Set it aside for 30 minutes.
3) Take a lemon sized ball of dough and dust it with dry flour.
4) Now flatten it evenly in a round shape. Do not press very hard while rolling. Try to use minimum dry flour while rolling.
5) Heat the tava/griddle for a minute as the griddle should be hot. Place the flattened dough on the griddle and let it cook for few seconds.
6) Flip it and let it cook for 10 seconds till small bubbles start appearing as shown in pic-6.
7) Place it directly on high flame with the first side down. Remove from flame as soon as it puffs like a balloon with the help on a tong.
Serve it hot with your choice of Curry or Dal.
1) These phulkas stay soft and fresh outside for upto 24 hours.
2) Do not add salt in the dough if you want to store the dough for later use.
3) Once the phulkas cool down, wrap them using kitchen foil. You can refrigerate them in a air-tight container and store upto 2 weeks. You can reheat and eat them as per your requirement.
4) How to re-heat - If you have refrigerated, keep it outside for 15 minutes so that it comes to room temperature. Microwave for 10-12 seconds and serve.